Tabs

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Susan: Wednesday Report

It's Wednesday! Bet you thought I forgot I said I'd post every Wednesday. No, just a busy day.

Before I decided what to do next, I thought I should lay out one of the projects and see where I need to go with it. I chose the hexagon project with the 3/4" sides. I love this size. I tried the 1/2" and those are WAY too small for my taste. Other sizes are good, and I work with them, too, but the 3/4" is my favorite one.

This project was started in the summer of 1988 when I was on a trip with my sister. I can't recall now why I picked hexagons, except I needed something to do as we drove across the state of Texas - from El Paso almost all the way to the Red River, well past Dallas. If you've never made that trip, it's a really long way and I don't suggest doing it in one day. I've done it many times in my life, usually in one day! Did I mention it's long?

I was trying to recall which of these was the very first one. It wasn't the red one with the red-ticking stripe and the cow heads, but I remember buying that fabric on the way home on that trip, in a quilt shop that was in Carlsbad, NM. The blue one in the upper left and the brown one on the lower left came from a friend in Germany, probably sent around 1998. There are two in here made from fabric I used in a friend's baby quilt for her second child, and that child is probably in college now ... as a senior. A lot of them were pieced watching TV with Paul, or in the passenger seat driving down the road, pulling the fifth wheel. There will be one or two that I've put together with pieces my best friend, Fran, had basted before she died. This piece has a lot of meaning to me, as you can imagine.

Once upon a time, I thought I'd make an entire quilt. Now, I think not. I think what you see will be the finished size. It's tempting to make it into a hexagon and hang it on the wall, but really, wouldn't the hanging of that be a pain in the heinegeplatz? So I think it will be this and be a long table runner. I guess I could make it a table cloth size for my round table .... You can't tell, because I cropped it, but it's at the foot of my queen-sized bed and it's almost that wide. If I talk about making it bigger, sit me down for a serious talk!

I need to attach a few of the ones you see on the floor, make three more white ones and two more colored ones, and a whole lot of black triangles. Hmmm. This looks like a lot of work to go!

3 comments:

Mariella said...

Oh the memories that are in this quilt project!! It brings a happy tear to my eye just reading about your trip through time with these hexagons!! It's a very happy quilt, no matter what it ends up being.

Turid said...

This is going to be a fantastic table runner. So keep on, when you first start, it's going to be finished soon. But of course there will be some work to do. Good luck!

margaret said...

I can see this as a table runner, it will brighten up even the dullest day